US membership program announced for 2014-2015 season
The IQA is very excited to announce the US Quidditch membership program for the upcoming 2014-2015 playing season.
Membership registration for those wishing to participate in quidditch within the United States will be available in-person at the IQA World Cup VII in North Myrtle Beach, SC, and will open online on June 1. The 2014-2015 playing season begins on July 1. Keep reading for a digest of the changes. For more information, click here.
Most current membership fees remain the same for this year:
- $150 for a team membership
- $50 for an adult individual membership
- $25 for a youth membership
- $50 for a fan membership.
A few fees have changed:
- $50 coach membership* (includes a comprehensive workshop facilitated by the Positive Coaching Alliance)
- $40 referee membership* (includes head referee exam and ability to earn $20 for officiating any regular season, regionals, or World Cup quidditch game)
- $10 trial membership (good for one player for one event, excluding regionals and World Cup)
*Any member player who would also like to serve as a head official or a coach throughout the season may add that to their membership by paying $25 or $15 to do so, respectively.
There are a few changes to the upcoming team membership program:
- There will no longer be a basic team membership level. USQ still plans on supporting non-member teams by continuing to work directly with new and developing teams, and it hopes to more actively facilitate recreational quidditch and alternative events in the upcoming season. It does cost money, however, to support, facilitate, and plan elite level competition.
- There will be a team membership available for non-competitive youth quidditch (kidditch) programs, which includes a coach membership for the adult leader.
- A competitive adult team may only consist of players over the age of 17 years old, while a competitive youth team may contain players from the ages of 14 to 18 years of age.
And to the competitive team requirements:
- All teams are required to have an individual complete the coach certification process before playing in any official USQ games.
- Teams must have one certified head referee, one different certified snitch referee, and two different certified assistant referees associated with them. All referees must pass the written test before participating in their regional championship.
USQ is also offering two new financial aid programs for teams, in addition to a reprisal of last year’s equipment starter grant:
- Two sponsorships of $700 are available to cover the individual membership dues of a team that already has seven members.
- A member rewards program that incentivizes team and player participation in a variety of different projects, initiatives, and events. Various activities will earn your team points, which will be shown on a leaderboard on the website. The winning team at the end of the season will win one free team membership (team dues plus seven members for an equivalency of $450).
If you would like more information on the 2014-2015 USQ membership program, please visit this membership page. If you would like to learn more about the upcoming changes and why they were made, please visit our “What’s new?” article. To relay specific questions or comments, email .